Wednesday, April 30, 2014

A New Year's Resolutions Report Card

Since today marks the completion of 1/3 of the 2014 calendar year (where does the time fly?), I decided to provide a report card on the progress of my New Year's resolutions.  You know - RESOLUTIONS - those promises we make to ourselves each January then usually forget by President's day.

 In January I made the following 2014 New Year's Resolutions:

1) Make my bed every day
2) Balance my check book every month
3) Stick to a workout and eating program
4) Read at least 30 books this year.

And the progress report:

1) Um, the first month I was great on making my bed.  February less so. Now it's back to the old habit of making my bed whenever.  But if I have to fail on one of my resolutions, this is the least important one. I still have high hopes for it for the rest of the year.

 2) Yes! Balanced!  Every 2 weeks, right after pay day, I balance my check book to the penny! Amazing!

 3) Yes! With help from George (see post on My New Man), and this resolution I have lost 15 lbs since the first of the year and feel so much better in my knees and other joints. I still slide into old bad eating habits once in a while but nothing like before. For the most part I've cut out fried foods, most dairy, and a lot of sugar, and about half of my meals each week are vegetarian or vegan.  Like I said, there are still slips and slides, but it's interesting how yucky I feel now when I have a burger or fried food.  And I discovered I love veggie burgers. Who knew?!

Not part of the resolutions, but I also gave up soda. I haven't had one since mid-January. I wasn't a big soda drinker anyway, either diet or regular, so this wasn't that difficult. Every now and then I get a hankering for one then remember an article I read in January on healthy eating. It called soda the "Devil's piss."  Colorful, yes?  Now every time I see one, that's all I hear in my head. 

Wonder if I could get that to work with chocolate?

 4) Yes! I just finished reading my 10th book for 2014 and have two more in progress.

Who'd a thunk it, but New Year's Resolutions can be kept.

At least 3 out of 4...


1 comment:

Mark Baker said...

Way to go!