Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Lost - 1 Container of Cat Litter

Recently, a friend inquired about my "pledge."

I wanted to feign ignorance, but I knew what she was talking about. She was referencing a blog I wrote in February called Epiphany of Pain about making the commitment to live a healthier lifestyle.

I'll bet you all thought I was hoping you'd forgotten about that promise to myself. Well, neener, neener, neener.

For those of you just joining us, as I've gotten older, my legs and knees have started to complain about my weight. It didn't help that in January I injured the muscles in my right leg so badly I had to hobble around with a cane for some time. Each step echoed my need to drop the weight and give my poor pins a break. It also sidelined me for most exercise.

I'm happy to report that I've been off the cane for about a month now, but still have to be careful of that leg. It's gets as cranky as an old woman whose shoes are too tight. I haven't gotten back into regular exercise as I should, but haven't been a total couch potato either. 

Did you know there are amazing exercises you can do sitting down?  And I don't mean changing the TV channel and eating snacks. Here's one of my favorites:


My eating is much healthier too, though far, far from perfect. I've really cut back on fried foods and when I eat them now, they upset my stomach, reminding me of how far I've come. I still enjoy sweets but not as often. There is still the occasional stress binge and pasta or pizza feed, but it's the exception not the rule. I try to stick to fresh fruit and veggies and lean protein, with the occasional coffee cake and carton of Ben and Jerry's thrown in for fun.

Progress, you ask?

So far I've lost 25 lbs. I'm recording it in 5 lb mini goals, not obsessing over single or partial pounds. My sights are now set on the big 3-0.  I had a complete physical recently and my doctor was thrilled with the loss and that I am doing it gradually and without any fad diets or drugs. It's slow, but it's doable and I haven't felt too deprived. And since my last physical, my cholesterol and blood sugar are both lower. They were never high, but the high of average. Now they are both better.

It's also been fun "shopping" my closet. I've been able to drag out long forgotten favorites I haven't worn in a long time. 

If you want to know what losing 25 lbs feels like, the next time you're in the market, pick up the large Tidy Cats litter container like the one on the right (it's the one I use at home).

It's heavy, isn't it? 

Whenever I get down and think I'm not doing very well, I pick up a full one and think, "Shit! that's heavy! No wonder my legs are bitch-slapping me!"

I only have 4 containers to go!

3 comments:

Kathy Keating said...

Congrats, Sue Ann! I know how hard it can be to stick to a plan. If it were really easy to lose, the whole world would be skinny. Plus, as I always say, if God really wanted us to be thin He would have made broccoli taste like chocolate cake! :-)

san sanjibon said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
LibraryJill said...

I'm so thrilled for you!!! I know how hard it is--a friend gave up bread, pasta, and potatoes and lost 25 pounds. I love bread and pasta and thus have NOT lost the 15 pounds I'd like to lose. Your knees are thanking you. Keep it up!!! Maybe the Mud Run next year, right?

Jill Patterson